In most organizations, the most important technical decisions aren't scrutinized and understood and this often results in complex, overengineered, hard to maintain products. If you are very technical and want to join a team where important decisions are made, documented, and understood as part of the product design process (rather than the coding/engineering process), then this job is for you.
What You Will Be Doing
A large part of our company's growth stems from acquiring a new software business every week! Part of our team’s mission is to drastically simplify the technology that each of these acquisitions is built with. What you will regularly do is:
- Dive deep into a product you have never seen before, learning how it works, and synthesizing what you've learned.
- Deciding how you would rearchitect the product using today's cloud-first patterns.
- Defining new releases that make use of deep insights and the latest tech to provide meteoric improvements.
As a part of our Technical Product Management group, the core part of your work will be:
- Producing structured technical product specs, typically focused on a different product each week.
- Reviewing and improving specs produced by other architects
- Approving technology developed by our engineering team.
What You Won’t Be Doing
- Working exclusively on a single product or feature.
- Directly managing people.
- Spending your day providing day-to-day directions to an engineering team.
Distinguished Engineer Key Responsibilities
- Make clear, simple, and technically sound design decisions
- Simplify designs that others have made complicated
- Apply a high-quality bar to the decisions you make on fundamental data structures, algorithms, and third-party technology choices
- Utilize other architects as force-multipliers, mentoring them by providing high-quality feedback on their work
- Synthesize your decisions and designs into clear and structured written specs
- A university degree including the study of computer science fundamentals.
- At least 2 years writing production code in either Java or C# for a commercial software company.
- At least 5 years of experience making core architecture and design decisions; such as data domain modeling, application of design patterns, and design using third-party components.
- The ability to simplify complex ideas and communicate them with clear, logical thinking.
- Experience crafting simple but meaningful messages for sales and marketing teams.
- Experience designing for Amazon Web Services, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience redesigning existing products on top of serverless cloud services.
Crossover has been a pioneer of the remote work model since our inception in 2010 - helping thousands of people find great work opportunities. We focus on full-time, long-term work - not short-term "gigs" or freelancing side jobs. Most of our positions are within a large and growing portfolio of software companies. Since we focus on remote work, our openings can be filled globally and pay standardized compensation rates, regardless of where you choose to live.
Join the thousands of professionals that have partnered with Crossover to explore new opportunities and find their dream job. Go to www.crossover.com/testimonials to read their stories. Better yet, write your own story!
What to expect next:
- You will receive an email with a link to start your self-paced, online job application.
- Our hiring platform will guide you through a series of online “screening” assessments to check for basic job fit, job-related skills, and finally a few real-world job-specific assignments.
- You will be paired up with one of our recruiting specialists who can answer questions you might have about the process, role, or company, and help you get to the final interview step.
Important! If you do not receive an email from us:
- First, emails may take up to 15 minutes to send, refresh and check again.
- Second, check your spam and junk folders for an email from Crossover.com, mark as “Not Spam” since you will receive other emails as well.
- Third, we will send to whatever email account you indicated on the Apply form - by default, that is the email address you use as your LinkedIn username and it might be different than the one you have already checked.
- If all else fails, just visit https://jobs.crossover.com directly, search for this job, and click “Apply”. You will be prompted to reset your password if you already applied using LinkedIn EasyApply.